In a world where we are bombarded daily with the importance of education and status.... it is hard to believe that there might be something in the world that is ACTUALLY MORE IMPORTANT than LEARNING
.... but there IS...IT's DOING !
In fact, KNOWLEDGE is at the VERY BOTTOM
of The Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning Pyramid,
with COMPREHENSION on the next lowest level,
while the skills required for ACTION are at the TOP.
So... what does Neuroscience have to say about the importance of DOING?
Harvard Health published a study from it's Alumni
after following a group of men over many years
who were asked to start taking SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
toward their health rather than PLANNING
to join a gym or start some BIG MAJOR workout routine.
AND... the results were astonishing....
for those who TOOK DAILY ACTION
and just took several flights of stairs each day
rather than remaining sedentary or taking the elevator....
those men had a 33% lower rate of mortality!
KNOWING or DECIDING
to get in shape, eat healthy, start a GRATITUDE practice...
is NOT ACTION.
Knowledge is just something that remains INSIDE your head
providing no benefit without ACTION!
To achieve ANY results, we must COMBINE the KNOWLEDGE we acquire
with the ACTION steps needed to "DO SOMETHING" ...even if it's wrong.
IN fact, recent studies show there is a great deal of benefit "to the brain"
for taking ACTIONS (that are later found to be incorrect)
because your brain creates what Neuroscience calls
Bayesian Brain Updating
to rewire information via trial and error.
So... the best formula for achieving successful results is:
KNOW x DO = RESULTS
The Benefits of DOING or Taking ACTION are incredible for the Brain:
1. DOING...is your brains way of activating INFORMATION and moving it to a higher levels of comprehension, which is why most all of us learn better from actual EXPERIENCE rather than just reading about something in a book.
2. DOING creates trial and error circuits in the brain that force your cognitive functions to update and rewire. (Extremely Beneficial for Cognition)
3. DOING or taking DAILY ACTIONs helps to form HABIT LOOPS in the brain. When your brain forms healthy habit loops it is much easier to live a healthy life!
4. DOING small DAILY ACTIONS is more Beneficial and much EASIER to maintain than trying to start a Huge new Program.
5. ACTIONS you choose purposely, create a sense of accomplishment in the brain which registers in the reward center of the brain releasing Dopamine (feel good chemicals) that boost your emotional state. ANY goal.... even small daily ones, give your brain a sense of accomplishment releasing dopamine.
START today..... and STOP Deciding and START DOING!
Even small daily actions over time can move your life to levels you never dreamed possible. You can begin with something as small as a daily practice of GRATITUDE. It takes less than 5 minutes to give your brain a boost that can last the entire day!
Staci is a one-of-a-kind mix of JOY and Neuroscience who is teaching people all over the world to BUILD a BETTER BRAIN by using Gratitude to create a BRIGHTER future. She has a Master's Degree in Educational NEUROSCIENCE and 25 years of teaching experience where she developed a reputation for being able to uncover potential in others like no one else could. Let her teach you how to live a HAPPIER Life by using the neuroscience of GRATITUDE to rewire your brain and build a better future!