WHAT the heck did you just say........... to yourself?
Neuroscience will tell you that the average person has about 60,000 thoughts a day, and I bet you didn't realize that almost 80% of those thoughts are negative.
You might be saying "NO WAY that's true!" ...... but let's look at some of the SILENT THOUGHT THIEVES walking around unchecked in your mind.
1. I'm so tired
2. I can't deal with these kids
3. I hate Monday's
4. We don't have any food
5. This house is a mess
6. My butt looks huge in these pants
7. My hair is CRAZY today
8. My wrinkles are taking over my face
9. My kids are going down the wrong path
10. My job is sucking the life out of me
Mistakingly we're taught that something has to be really mean to be harmful.... HOWEVER modern science will tell you this is just NOT TRUE!
The toxic effects of our inner critic
are running rampant in our own MIND
- playing actual, measurable havoc on your BRAIN.
I have people tell me all the time
that they aren't a pessimist
they're a realist.
And... I'm here to challenge that statement
with some data that many people may not be aware of.
Research data shows that 90% of negative SELF-TALK is COMPLETELY unhelpful in any way.... leaving only 10% of it as thoughts that encourage you to move toward improvement.
For example: when you try on those jeans and you silently THINK to yourself:
1. I look like crap in these jeans
2. My butt looks HUGE
3. I shouldn't have eaten any birthday cake last night
4. I don't have anything I look good in right now
5. I'm just going to stay home a big, fat loser.
Within a matter of SECONDS... you've bombarded yourself with loads of Negative Talk and unknowingly you just dumped LOADS OF NEGATIVE CHEMICALS into your BRAIN: and the THOUGHT THIEF has just taken off with MIND!
So.... How do you learn to silence that negative inner critic?
1. AWARENESS- you cannot change anything you aren't aware of, so the next time you feel your "THIEF" taking over. CATCH him, and just pause and be proud of the fact you knew he was there.
2. Give you "THIEF" a name. I know.... this sounds crazy, but it works. It also helps separate yourself from the thought. When we see yourself as a PERSON and the thought as "George".... then it's much easier to remove him.
3. Remember THOUGHTS aren't real...... they're just an opinion running free in your mind.
and if you really want to step it up a notch and CATCH YOUR THIEF to remove him forever :
4. Say "your negative self-talk OUT LOUD" most of us would never say what we THINK out loud, but we do it within the confines of our mind feeling as if it's harmless. I am here to tell you IT ISN'T!
5. Ask yourself "Would you say this to a friend?" Because, chances are HIGH that you wouldn't..... so why not treat yourself as a FRIEND!
Start today realizing that those silent negative thoughts you say to yourself:
ARE TOXIC- and catch them before they poison your own MIND!
Staci is a one-of-a-kind mix of JOY and Neuroscience who is teaching people all over the world to BUILD a BETTER BRAIN by using Gratitude to create a BRIGHTER future. She has a Master's Degree in Educational NEUROSCIENCE and 25 years of teaching experience where she developed a reputation for being able to uncover potential in others like no one else could. Let her teach you how to live a HAPPIER Life by using the neuroscience of GRATITUDE to rewire your brain and build a better future!